network with linksys adapter or not

IAN2112 08:00 02 Nov 08

I have just changed isp to BT, i'm really pleased with the change (no unexplained disconnections)i have one simple problem.I connect NO1 pc to net without problem but NO2 pc is the problem. I can connect through xp connectivity wirelessly by ticking the box(advanced setts page) to do so but everytime i switch pc off i have to select that box all the time. The BT network page says i'm connecting with my Linksys adapter to BT hub but linksys software will not connect,so i obtain connection with the XP wireles tool which is surely connecting with the above adapter as there is no other means.The local connection icon has the red cross across it until i tick the box to connect using XP.What i want is a connection without having to manually make that connection after each power down of PC.I have tried switching the one off to use just the other to eliminate any conflicts.
I have uninstalled linksys S-W and reinstalled many times, contacted BT and as normal they want you to try something physically impossible there and then but surely its an easy problem to sort out but is escaping my networking knowledge..

mgmcc 08:38 02 Nov 08

I'm not sure where this "advanced settings page" is in which you're ticking the box. If you are wanting to connect with the Windows "Wireless Zero Configuration" service, go into Services ("Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK), scroll down to the entry for Wireless Zero Configuration, double click the entry to open its Properties sheet and ensure that (a) the service is STARTED and (b) its Startup type is set to AUTOMATIC.

The problem with the software for some WiFi adapters is that, when you reboot, it takes back control of the wireless networking. However, I haven't had this problem with the USB Linksys WiFi adapter that I use in both XP and vista, so it may be that you don't have the Wireless Zero Configuration Startup Type set to Automatic, so that it runs when the PC is rebooted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…