Network laptop and desktop

lonemascot 18:26 28 Sep 05

what hardware do i need to transfer files between a desktop computer and a laptop?

Thanks

De Marcus™ 18:31 28 Sep 05

A crossover cable and available ports on each machine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 28 Sep 05

or a USB flash drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 28 Sep 05

or a USB data cable

If you only want to swap files then a flsh drive is best quick easy no drivers.

If you want to network / share files printers / applications / internet then that is a different matter.

lonemascot 19:37 28 Sep 05

i have usb 2 and firewire ports on my desktop pc. if i get a laptop with a usb/firewire port will that do the job of transfering stuff?

what do i use a 10/100 network card for then?

mgmcc 19:44 28 Sep 05

<<< what do i use a 10/100 network card for then? >>>

That is the correct hardware for networking computers.

It is possible to connect them with Serial, Parallel or (special) USB cables, but these use Direct Cable Connection which can be unreliable and less user-friendly than a properly set up network.

<<< if i get a laptop with a usb/firewire port will that do the job of transfering stuff? >>>

You can network by Firewire, but if you have conventional network adapters, stick with those.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 28 Sep 05

What EXACTLY do you want to do.

lonemascot 20:50 28 Sep 05

I want to be able to do work on a laptop away from home and transfer files etc to my desktop.

I would also like to make use of the internet and the printers that i have connected to my PC at home.

My computer has USB 2 and firewire ports with a broadband router connected via USB. The router has a spare ethernet connection which I can use to add another cpu apparently.

I haven't bought a laptop yet as I was unsure of what to look for in the way of ports etc.

What do i need to get?

Thanks

woodchip 21:16 28 Sep 05

Then all you need is a USB bridging Link Cable About £10 you just load the software on both computers plug the cable into a usb port on each computer double click ICON on the desktop of both computers, you then have what looks like Windows Explorer open on both computers and you just drag and drop files, from one to the other.

Maplin it's dear click here

This one will do click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:07 28 Sep 05

I would also like to make use of the internet and the printers that i have connected to my PC at home.

Connect a patch cable to the ethernet port on the laptop and ether net port on the router

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…