Network Key Problem

jemreed 14:26 07 Oct 08

For some reason I cannot connect to my brother's wireless internet. I can connect to unprotected signals, but when I try to access the password protected signals, my computer asks me for the "network key," instead of just the password. I have tried using the correct password MANY times but it will not connect me. I have a Dell, Windows XP OS, if that makes any difference. Thanks for any help.

-Jeremy

mgmcc 18:45 07 Oct 08

What you are being prompted for is the WEP or WPA encryption key as set up in the router's wireless security settings. It isn't the same thing as the 'password' used to access the router's configuration pages if that's what you're trying to enter.

jemreed 21:17 07 Oct 08

is there any way that i can figure out the encryption key? or am i just out of luck? i doubt he has it written down anywhere

mgmcc 21:35 07 Oct 08

Depending on the router, by going into its wireless security settings you may be able to see the existing encryption key. Netgear routers "mask" the key with dots so it cannot be read, but some routers do display the key as plain text.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…