network key?

ricky J 10:57 14 May 07

I have a bekin router and currently have one laptop connected to it. I want to set up a second laptop (wireless). I pretty sure it will ask me for a network key as my WAN is secure. How do i find out what my network key is; belkin set my router up via a telephone call and secured it at the same time. Any help please

Regards

Richard

PalaeoBill 11:15 14 May 07

Is your current laptop connection wired or wireless?

If it is wired and belkin got you going over a phone call then they probably just disabled the wirless connection. Browse to the routers web page 192.168.2.1, click the login prompt (by default there should be no password so leave the field blank). Use the menus to enable wireless, set WPA encryption and create a key.

If you are wireless already then I'm not sure how Belkin did it. They could have connected remotely to your router but whatever key they used would have had to be typed into the network settings of your laptop.

ricky J 11:27 14 May 07

my current laptop is wireless and i have gone to the ip address you suggested and seem to have found my network key. Can you briefly now explain how i set my second laptop up

Kind regards

Richard

PalaeoBill 13:16 14 May 07

You could just use the wireless network wizard or
assuming networking is set up:

Start>Settings>Network Connections>

Right click on 'Wireless Network Connection'
Select 'Properties'
Click on the 'Wireless Network' Tab
Add your preferred network (click on the view button to see the available ones).
In 'Properties' for the preferred network, select the encryption you have (WEP, WPA ..) and enter the key.

When you are done and it is all working I would browse back to your routers home page and set up a password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced