Network internet sharing question.

daisy2bell 13:57 12 Oct 04

Main machine is win98SE connected directly to internet (Aol broadband USB modem.)
2nd mashine winXPhome no isp installed.

Both machines are talking to each other via networking ok incl printer sharing.

I want to be able to share the internet connection. What do I have to do. Could someone give me simple step by step instructions on how to set up / configure this please.
Thanks
Fred

Noelg23 14:01 12 Oct 04

are you using a crossover cable or a straight cable between the two PCs?

daisy2bell 14:03 12 Oct 04

One cable between the 2 PC's

howard60 14:07 12 Oct 04

you need a crossover cable if you are connecting directly between the two pcs network cards. If you have a hub/router/switch then you use straight through cables from each pc's network card to the hub. Once connected go to the pc with the net connection and right click on network places and then properties. select the net connection card and again right click and properties. go to the advanced tab and then put a tick in the box allow other pcs to connect via this pc.

daisy2bell 15:38 12 Oct 04

Thanks

Do I need one of these " hub/router/switch"
or will a crossover cable do on it's own. What is actualy a crossover cable?

FRed

recap 16:12 12 Oct 04

click here for a description of a crossover cable.

Follow howard60's posting for connecting up your PC's for internet connection sharing (ICS)

roy 16:15 12 Oct 04

daisy2bell

If you already have a network which is working you can set up internet sharing. You do not need to go to the expense of a router unless you need to use your second pc (WinXp) without the other one being booted. It sounds as if you already have what is known as an ad hoc network and, no doubt are using a cross-over cable.

How did you set up your existing network?

mgmcc 16:25 12 Oct 04

If you have already got the two PCs talking to each other and printer sharing, you must already have them properly connected, so the cable is not an issue.

Sharing an internet connection is very much easier to set up in XP than in 98SE but, if you have to connect with 98SE, you need to install "Internet Connection Sharing". Go to "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" and select the Windows Setup tab. Highlight "Internet Tools" and click the Details button. In the next box, tick "Internet Connection Sharing" and click OK. You will get an ICS Wizard which will create a floppy to configure ICS "client" PCs. You shouldn't actually need this with an XP 'client' PC.

In "Control Panel > Internet Options", there should now be a "Sharing" button in the LAN Settings section. Click that and, in the next box, tick "Enable Internet Connection Sharing".

Finally, back in the Network Properties (right click Network Neighborhood and select Proprerties) highlight the TCP/IP entry for your Network Adapter (there may also be other TCP/IP entries, particularly the one for Dialup Adapter - ignore these) and click Properties. Make sure Specify an IP address is selected and the address is 192.168.0.1 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

In the XP "client" PC, the TCP/IP properties for the Local Area Connection should be set to get IP and DNS addresses automatically.

daisy2bell 10:21 13 Oct 04

mgmcc
Well, I did as you said,

(Go to "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" and select the Windows Setup tab. Highlight "Internet Tools" and click the Details button. In the next box, tick "Internet Connection Sharing" and click OK. You will get an ICS Wizard which will create a floppy to configure ICS "client" PCs. You shouldn't actually need this with an XP 'client' PC. )

but the ICS wizard could not complete the task as it could not find my AOL account and or Broadband Modem

Also there was no ""Sharing" button in the LAN Settings section"

The IP address I have is 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 on the client (XP)

Any more ideas gratefuly accepted
Thanks
Fred

daisy2bell 10:26 13 Oct 04

howard60 wrote

" go to the pc with the net connection and right click on network places and then properties. select the net connection card and again right click and properties. go to the advanced tab and then put a tick in the box allow other pcs to connect via this pc. "

I could not find any mention of this anywhere

mgmcc 11:18 13 Oct 04

The instructions which "howard60" gave you were for enabling ICS in Windows XP, not 98SE, which is why you couldn't find it.

To be honest, I don't even know if ICS is possible with AOL, which tends to be a law unto itself as far as compatibilty is concerned. You could try setting up ICS on a basic Dialup Networking configuration with one of the "free" ISPs, if you don't already have a "non-AOL" dialup, and then change it once you have finished with the wizard to the AOL broadband connection.

As I said originally, it is very much easier to set up ICS in XP (just do as howard60 suggested) if you can use the XP PC instead of Windows 98 to connect, but the main question remains - whether AOL supports ICS (and my feeling is that it doesn't).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…