Network & internet sharing help please

PCNumpty 15:30 17 Feb 07

I'm having problems -I want 2 PCs to share printer files and internet connection. I just don't know enough about it to make it work.

We are in a very rural location and only have slow dial up internet. I need to be able to use the internt on either PC.
We have one laptop with modem already connected to the internet and a new PC with a network card. The network cable is connecting them.
If I run the network set up wizard and I am able to share files & the printer, but the internet is only available on the laptop, and I have to run the set up wizard every time I start up or the laptop thinks it's not the host PC?!

I'm baffled - I'm sure there must be a simple explanation, but I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. What must I do to meake them share everything permanently? Any help would be very much appreciated.

mammak 18:04 17 Feb 07

click here

this is all I could find, it is not something I ever thought of doing on dialup ( that was sooo long ago) so I dont know if the information will be helpful or if it will work! good luck.

computerboy 18:07 17 Feb 07

because dial up phones the internet it will not work fast enough and will keep to dis connecting

PCNumpty 18:42 17 Feb 07

Thanks very much for the link. I know dial up is slow, but I have achieved an internet connection on the client PC on a few occasions but I can't save it from one day to the next! I've tried so many different things I don't know which configeration worked!? I know it can work, I just don't know how to make it permanent.
I bought the new PC assuming it would have a modem so the only way to connect to the internet is throught the laptop. :-(

Strawballs 18:46 17 Feb 07

you can do it with a hub and one PC as a gateway using ICS I did that when on dial up.

PCNumpty 18:52 17 Feb 07

Surely I don't need more equipment if I have already managed to connect?

Strawballs 18:55 17 Feb 07
  Strawballs 18:59 17 Feb 07

Sorry didn't read your thread properly not sure why you are having problem also if you want the same setup that you have but wireless to release the laptop to roam the house you can click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…