Network Internet Sharing

Chasman 23:32 23 Oct 03

Hi,
I have 2 pc's 1 on XP Home 1 on XP Pro. Both are networked via a hub, sharing a ADSL connection from the XP Home PC.
My problem is the network can share files and print but I can't get the internet on the second (XP Pro) PC. Everything is enabled for sharing - the second PC even shows the speed of the connection and that it is receiving data via the modem. All I get when I load up IE is the progress meter slowly getting to two bars then the message saying the page it is not available.
My ISP is BTOpenworld, is that anything to do with it?
can anyone offer any help please without resorting to anymore hardware?

Terrahawk 01:18 24 Oct 03

if you have a fire wall running you will need to configure it to allow network traffic to the internet

yuffy 01:38 24 Oct 03

The first answer is probably the cause but if you have a belkin router look under the read me file in programms & phone them, they will talk you through. Brilliant support.

Lead 04:08 24 Oct 03

Have you run the Connection Wizard and told your PC to share it's internet connection?

Chasman 08:09 24 Oct 03

Thanks for your replies
I have taken off the firewall (XP firewall) but still I have no access.
The hub is a make called "Switchings"
Yes the PC is sharing its interenet connection
I've even had a mate around who runs a computer shop and runs a helpline at local computer fairs - he can't find any fault.

Chasman 13:01 24 Oct 03

I have also tried my network with crossover cable direct into both pc's without the hub and still no internet.

dirtyh 15:36 24 Oct 03

when you set up the network make sure you choose,this computer connects through a residential gateway,when using your router which happens to be the gateway.which you would have done on the other pc as that connects through the gateway ie:router also.

reeboot should work if hardware is ok.

Chasman 16:39 08 Nov 03

I have now sorted the problem it was difficult but

If you go Network connections -LAN Properties - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click ion it and click on the Use The Folling DNS address and leave the address blank that will enable the internet over the network

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…