Network Interface Card

warthog01 07:18 24 Nov 04

I've just installed WINXP Pro on my Dell Latitude D600, and all's well until I tried to set up my DSL internet connection. The router installation failed because it could not detect a Network Interface Card. Is this hardware/software and can anyone advise what I can do to obtain one or otherwise solve the problem?

Diodorus Siculus 08:07 24 Nov 04

Is there a NIC physically present on the machine? It is (as I expect you know) a connection similar to a hone line / modem connection, except a little bigger).

Get click here
Everest to ID the card if so and get the drivers.

If not , you can buy one easily enough - see novatech, for example.

Diodorus Siculus 08:10 24 Nov 04

Is it a laptop? If so and there are no NIC connections, you will have to get a PCMCIA card - again, novatech will have some.

warthog01 10:41 24 Nov 04

Diodorus Siculus

Many thanks--yes, there is an internal network port/connection on the laptop--is the card an integral part of this or is it located elsewhere?

There's also a PCMCIA slot.

Diodorus Siculus 10:52 24 Nov 04

That is the card - that port; check in the BIOS to ensure that it is enabled. Also have a look for anyting relevant in the control panel.

warthog01 11:15 24 Nov 04

D'oh!! I'm beginning to feel a bit thick now--sorry to ask, but can you point me at the BIOS, give me an idea as to what I'm looking for and, if not enabled, what to do about it. Am I looking at modems in the control panel or something else?

Diodorus Siculus 13:12 24 Nov 04

It might be best if you look at the laptop manual - it should be more specific than any generalisations that I happen to use.

click here for the dell site which may give some idea.

warthog01 14:29 24 Nov 04

OK, many thanks--just one repeat question--in Control panel, will the NIC show up in the modem category (if installed) or somewhere else? oh yes--is there a chance that my XP installation didn't load the drivers? (sorry--that's two questions--thanks for your help!)

recap 15:35 24 Nov 04

Your NIC should show up in Network adapter. and yes it is possible that XP did not load the drivers. If you have a driver disc from Dell you can load them from there.

Another way of checking is to look in a Command Prompt. Type the following: ipconfig /all

Note there is a space before /all

This will then give you the details of your card if it is loaded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…