Network Hub / Switch

Winston Churchill 11:12 08 Feb 03

I have a three computer network and on computer on it has a onboard network card and a pci network card, all of the network runs at 100mbs. What is the difference between a hub and a switch? Would I need one to add a forth computer?

Thanks

recap 11:30 08 Feb 03

click here and you should get the information you need to decide what you require.

PSF 11:38 08 Feb 03

The basic difference between a hub and switch is the way it allows communications to pass through it.

With a hub when one pc want to talk to another the information is sent to all the pc's on the network, this clogs up the network and so can slow it down.

With a switch the pc's talk directly to each other one to one, and therefore the network will not slow down as communications are directed to exactly where they are needed.

There is not much difference between the price and so it is best to go for a switch.

I only have two pc's networked together via a router/switch, I think you will need a hub/switch to network 4 together.

Winston Churchill 12:21 08 Feb 03

Thanks you two, ill look at that page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…