Network help

Im a diddy 09:57 16 Dec 10

I need a fairly quick solution hence posting the thread in helproom.
Im moving my Desktop pc into my daughters bedroom.The desktop(xp) is wired to the router.I can view files on both the pc and external hard drive via my laptop(windows7).
Ive fitted a wireless card and this accesses internet ok wirelessly.However if i try to access the xp desktop using my laptop,the desktop shows up but i cant access the files?.any ideas?.

woodchip 10:45 16 Dec 10

Have you tried running the Networking Wizard in XP. Have all PC's and Printers turned on when you run it and create a disc when it asks you to. You then use the disc in other computers and Double click on the one file on the disc to setup that PC.

Network should be found in Windows Explorer bottom Left Look for MsHome under Microsoft Networks

Im a diddy 11:36 16 Dec 10

do i need to do it again?
when connected by ethernet all is normal.when wireless all is normal with the exception of not opening files.I can see the pcs drives and folders that are shared but not get into the folders.
will the xp wizard work on the windows 7 laptop? thanks

Woolwell 11:54 16 Dec 10

Could be a firewall snag. Trying turning off the firewall on the Windows 7 laptop temporarily.

Im a diddy 13:47 16 Dec 10

tried with firewall off still same.thanks though

Im a diddy 21:09 16 Dec 10

bump...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…