Network Help

RealDopey 23:56 28 Jan 05

I have two desktops both running XP Pro with SP2 linked to a Netgear DG834G router, one is on a ethernet cable and the other is connected by wireless PCI card. DHCP is running on the router and both desktops get their IP address from the router. Both have the windows firewall enabled and they share printers files etc.

My problem is a Sony laptop with XP Home connecting to the network via ethernet cable. rom the Sony you can access either desktop, printer etc. But regardless of of whether the firewalls are on or off, I cannot gain access to the laptop from either of the desktop PC's!

Anybody any Ideas? Ibeen looking at this for the past three hours , I run the wizard, stopped all A/virus and taken down the firewalls!

FelixTCat 00:35 29 Jan 05

Make sure that you have shared at least one drive or folder on the Sony.

Do you have simple file sharing enabled? If not you have to create an account for each user who wants to log on to it over the network.

RealDopey 00:43 29 Jan 05

Thanks for the advice, but I have enable a share on all the "c" drives and I have created a user on all three machines as john with admin rights and no passwords.

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 01:23 29 Jan 05

have you run the network setup wizard using xp disc in the laptop? i think this is a must,

sorry if you already done this

RealDopey 01:28 29 Jan 05

.....using xp disc

Not sure what you mean?

I ran the network wizard from "My Network places"

RealDopey 08:57 29 Jan 05

Bump

Anybody ?

FelixTCat 11:32 29 Jan 05

Carry out a few basic checks. Are all the computers in the same workgroup? Do they all have different names? Does the Sony also get its IP address from the router?

Open My Network Places on all three computers. Then open Entire Network - Microsoft Windows Network. The Workgroup icon should show. Open it. All all three computers present?

RealDopey 11:53 29 Jan 05

Thanks for that but....

Are all the computers in the same workgroup? Yes

Do they all have different names? Yes

Does the Sony also get its IP address from the router? Yes

Open My Network Places on all three computers. Then open Entire Network - Microsoft Windows Network. The Workgroup icon should show. Open it. All all three computers present? Yes, and when using the sony you can click on either desktop and in you go, BUT when using either desktop you can click the other desktop and go in but if you click on the sony you get "Access Denie" Lol

It's got me beat!

RealDopey 12:31 29 Jan 05

Following on from what I have already written, I now find that if I map a network drive to the laptop I can get in! I've mapped it to

\\laptop\c

but i still cannot get in through network placs etc.

FelixTCat 14:20 29 Jan 05

Try enabling simple file sharing on the laptop - open any window - Tools - Folder Options - View and scroll to the end. Try the network connections again. If it now works, then we are into permissions. Simple file sharing is the norm for workgroups.

RealDopey 20:33 29 Jan 05

Thanks for that, but while I can find "Simple file sharing" on the desktop pc's that run XP Pro, it does not appear on the the laptop which runs XP Home.

Perhaps that is the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…