network headaches

driverqueen 21:49 07 Feb 05

i am having trouble networking 4 desktop pcs and a laptop. they are all running XP with SP2. i have a 5 port ethernet hub. i can get all the machines to see each other but i cannot get internet access, even tho the machines can see the internet connection. i have even switched off my firewall and still no joy. the windows firewall is also off. any ideas. my neighbour is having the same problem

thanks in advance

driverqueen 22:08 07 Feb 05

lmhillyard 13:18 08 Feb 05

Try one machine physically linked to the hub on its own.If fine then add one by one and see what happens.

mgmcc 13:30 08 Feb 05

You don't say how you are connecting to the internet but, if it is ADSL via a USB modem, have you actually enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" on the 'host' PC with the modem connected?

driverqueen 13:39 08 Feb 05

yes i have enabled internet connection sharing on the host pc. i have ran the internet connection wizard too

mgmcc 13:48 08 Feb 05

OK, if you have enabled ICS, have the client PCs all been set to get their IP address automatically and are they getting a correct address in the range?

driverqueen 20:31 08 Feb 05

gateway machine is
first client

mgmcc 13:34 12 Feb 05

What firewall software are you using? If it is Zone Alarm, leave it running but set the "Internet Zone Security" to Medium instead of High in the 'host' PC, otherwise it blocks traffic from Internet Connection Sharing.

driverqueen 14:02 12 Feb 05

thanks for you help guys resolved the issue i never enable DNS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…