Network Firewall and AV

Chuffchuffbuff 12:14 04 Nov 04

I have set up a home network of two desktops (1 XP home, 1 Windows 98) and a laptop (XP home), sharing a broadband internet connection. What is the best way of protecting them with a firewall and antivirus programs?

Completealias 13:06 04 Nov 04

I would go with Firewalling the pc that actually has the connection to the internet. You can then stop any unwanted intruders there before they get in to your network. Yoou'll need to configure the firewall thou so that other pcs on your network can see it. As far as an AV prog goes you're gonna need one either a copy for each pc or one installed on a pc that can be accessed from the others. If you go with the one installed that can be accessed then you need only keep this copy upto date but will need that pc on all the time. Therefore putting it on the pc with the actual connection and firewall will work. There are plently of freebies out there.

Good Luck

Chris..b 13:12 04 Nov 04

Buy 2 licences (if doing it the legal way) for any antivirus software.

Norton 2004 Pro is licences for use with 2 computers.

Firewalls are mush the same though i use the brilliant and free zone alarm at:

click here

Just click on the top link....install this on both computers and configure as shown

PS you will not be able to access the network after installing the firewall until you tell it that there is a new network connection. A warning should come up once you try to connect.

I only have zone alarm as a backup to my routers firewall...so if you have problems once installed just uninstall and check that the router does not have a firewall.

Chuffchuffbuff 19:08 06 Nov 04

Thanks for the advice, looks like I've got to get three AV's and firewalls. I'll give Zone Alarm a try and see how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…