Network and Firewall

caast©? 14:03 14 Sep 03

I have built a new PC with AMD2600 and windows XPpro added everything to it and set up my broadband connection.

I have put it on the network I have with two Win98 pc?s and am using the XP machine as the server.

Having run the XP network set up wizard the other two win98 pc?s can see the XP and connect to the internet, see and share files.

However one of the win 98 PC is not seen on the server PC and brings up an alert box stating the network path may be incorrect and contact the administrator.

The PC that cannot be seen on the server PC is running Preventon Firewall, and the other has no Firewall installed, so I turned off the firewall and everything seems fine.

Running the network I would presume it is advisable to have the Firewall turned on especially when connected to the Internet however to have access to the network I have to turn it off.

My problem, can I remove the Preventon Firewall from the networked win98 PC and rely on the XP firewall to protect the network when connected to the internet.

wiznyme 14:08 14 Sep 03

Dont really need firewall s/ware blocking communications between stations inside your network.

Don't rely on the XP firewall s/ware download Zone Alarm click here.

caast©? 14:22 14 Sep 03

I understand but I have Preventon Firewall on the one 98 PC which I can install on the others.

However when turned on I dont have access to the networked computers

wiznyme 16:04 14 Sep 03

There has to be a setting inside the prevention firewall software that allows specific IP address's or subnets through.

I don't know this program but perhaps someone else here does and can tell you were to find this.

Again, you can unistall it from all the other PC's apart from the XP one that connects to the internet.

caast©? 16:57 14 Sep 03

Cheers will do that now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…