Network Control of computer?

Chegs ? 21:18 29 Oct 03

I doubt if this is possible but I want to be able to "take control" of the other puter on my network without having to keep running upstairs to confirm the action(Remote Assistance)I have used Net Meeting/Remote Assistance/PC Anywhere(under 98se)and all have required me to run upstairs to accept.Looking at the various readme's on Win Updates,they mostly shutoff the various "holes" in the OS,so I'm inclined to think that it will require "hacking"(although the pc I want to access has no firewall,as it kept refusing games access to this pc)

I am able to use the upstairs pc to save/delete files,but if I try to run the system tools on upstairs pc from here,I get its apps working on my pc unless I use Remote Assistance or such.RA only works for a max of 1 mth and also,if either puter encounters a prob(some games occasionally lockup)requiring restarted then I have to send the RA request,go and accept that then click the "Takeover" button down here and off back upstairs to accept that.

Surely,as M$ OS's are supposedly very insecure I should be able to take control of the other machine fairly easily and without having to confirm. :-)

Chegs ? 02:21 30 Oct 03

fitshase 03:53 30 Oct 03

You have two options (depending on your OS - which you do not mention).

If you have XP Pro on the machine upstairs you can use the Remote Desktop feature.

If not, the best bet is to use WinVNC (click here). This will work on pretty much any OS and will give you full control.

fitshase 03:54 30 Oct 03

forgot to mention, WinVNC is free.

Chegs ? 10:07 30 Oct 03

Thanks fitshase,both machines run XP,upstairs is XP Pro and I'm using XP Home(as my Pro install cd got damaged)

Chegs ? 11:27 30 Oct 03

Now all I have to do is cfg the prog and suss out how it works. :-)

Interesting - file to my postings.

Chegs ? 18:59 30 Oct 03

I have managed to get it to connect(green desktop)but cannot work out how to access the other puters "desktop" or control it in any way(although the Fraggle was using upstairs puter and my mouse pointer started moving on its own)

Chegs ? 00:39 31 Oct 03

I have had a good "wander" thru its various settings and have now sussed out howto run upstairs desktop from here(easy once Fraggle had ceased "playing" on her puter)and I can set off the various system tools/apps from here.Thanks again Fitshase for the link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…