Network connections

alcudia 16:29 23 May 03

Does anyone know if there is a "cheap" tool that can inserted into network points to indicate whether or not that point is live, and if so what is it called.
I would be very grateful because could do with something like this.

BlueMeanie 20:57 23 May 03

Hi

Maplin electronics sell a network cable tester, they used to have one at £20 or so, but the current ones listed on their website cost £59+ ouch!

However when I was network cabling, I used to plug my laptop into the point and check for a link and/or connect to the internet - google always provides a prompt response.

Using a little sideways logic ( I'm clever at that) how about plugging a cheap hub into the network socket and see if the "green" active light starts to flash.

That has just accured to me as I have just networked two PC's in one room at work today that are connected to a larger network. I was able to quickly see with three flashing lights (on the hub) that the 2 PC's were linked to the larger network.

Regards and good fortune with the networking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…