Network Connections

griffon56 12:32 21 Jul 08

I recently updated the BIOS on an HP Pavilion a310.uk machine fitted with an MSI MS6577 mobo. Now when the machine starts I get an extra 'Local Area Connection' shown as disabled in the Notification Tray.

The original web connection is OK. How can I get rid of the extra one, which just seems to be an unused duplicate of the one in use? Thanks.

chub_tor 13:50 21 Jul 08

Are you sure it is a duplicate, a machine with both wireless and ethernet will show the ethernet connection as disabled if there is no cable inserted while it is working quite happily on wireless.

griffon56 17:58 22 Jul 08

Sorry chub_tor, I didn't make myself clear the connections shown used to be 'Ethernet' and Local Area Connection'. I've now got an additional 'Local Area Connection 2' and I want to get rid of it if I can if it doesn't do anything.

FreeCell 18:01 22 Jul 08

How many ethernet adaptors are listed in Device Manager under Network Adaptors? If there are two try deleting the second one, after checking the first is enabled and functioning properly.

griffon56 12:34 25 Jul 08

Thanks Freecell that did the trick. The unwanted connection was listed as 'Cable unplugged', I uninstalled it and everything went on as before. Job done, thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos