NETWORK CONNECTIONS?

gra80 11:52 02 Mar 06

On my wired Netgear DG834 router I occasionally lose the connection between the router and the pc,...the numbered green port led goes out or flashes very slowly, everything works OK for quite a long time, then surfing slows to a `crawl` and the light flashes VERY slowly and/or goes out!.

This has only happened since moving the router to my new machine.

I notice in Settings/Network Connections under Lan or High-Speed Internet the Local Area Connection has a 3 added immediately after, this probably due to my various attempts to cure the router problem, should it say 3 after it?, (currently I am only using one pc on the router, the second pc is no longer used).

Hope someone more `clued-up`than me knows the answer to this one,many thanks in anticipation!

welshwizard712 12:09 02 Mar 06

Sounds like a bug with the Old Firmware.

Go to the Netgear Site and Download the

Version 2 firmware (Not V3 - Buggy)

and Upgrade.

Regards

Matt

ade.h 13:37 02 Mar 06

Disable the connection from within Network Connections and then uninstall the adapter from Device Manager. Reboot. Then start over.

ade.h 13:39 02 Mar 06

And read this click here

ade.h 13:40 02 Mar 06

Do that in addition to Matt's advice, not instead of it!

okidot 19:04 02 Mar 06

Hello, i may be enquiring in the wrong place but im having trouble as regards two computers sharing my 'linksys' router. i have a laptop and my friend owns a PC. im connecting by wireless and he is connecting by cable. both computers are internet active. when the 2 computers are connected to internet browsers the connection seems to be stable, but when we both are on a chat progs (seperate chat hosts)....they both disconnect from the chathosts, sometimes his stays connected and i get cut out. then, when i view my network connections it states that it is still connected , and that its signal is good.... is there anyway around this at all? everything was perfect until second computer arrived. ps im on a '1mb connection' using a cable/dsl modem. if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

ade.h 20:31 02 Mar 06

Right forum section, but you've hijacked someone else's thread. Start a fresh thread and someone with experience of chat programs will chip in.

gra80 07:51 03 Mar 06

Thanks ade.h,....

I`ve tried the Ask Leo link where it said "right click on network connections in control panel,select explore etc but I don`t see a list of other connections, even though (as I said) the connection I`m using shows Local Area Connection 3 and when working OK (as now while typing this)it also shows ULI PCI Fast Ethernet Controller.

When you say disable the connection within Network Connections/ uninstall the adaptor,...as this is built-in to the motherboard (ASROCK 939 DUAL SATA 11) what adaptor do you mean please.

I can handle most problems on my pc, but this intermittent problem with network is odd to me,...Netgear gave me a query number after telling me to reduce the MTU to their figure suggested, saying that if still a problem, DG834 may be faulty and to call them back as it`s still in warranty.

Any further ideas please, many thanks.

keewaa 12:25 03 Mar 06

<<<<<<This has only happened since moving the router to my new machine.>>>>>

Are you connecting the router to a different telephone socket, or using an additional extension lead? If so can you rule out this by shifting the whole lot to your original location to test.

keewaa 12:26 03 Mar 06

Also all telecoms devices must be microfiltered or they will interfere with the broadband signal. ALL phones, faxes, answer machines, sky box, house alarm etc. Poor quality microfilters, poor telephone extension cabling or DIY connections, loose plugs or sockets can all cause signal problems.

gra80 12:51 03 Mar 06

keewaa, thanks....No all connections as before, just new pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…