Network connected webcamera

mikemike2004 11:37 22 Feb 07

Dear all,

I've recently been assigned a task to create a wireless surveillance system. It's a university assignment so nothing professional about it. The camera itself only has a USB cable and so we've decided to use two laptops, one laptop to act as a control centre on the 6th floor and one laptop which the camera would be connected to on the 4th floor. There is the option of Internet or WLAN. The camera is mounted on a tuntable base(which has a stepper motor on it) and is connected to the laptop on the 4th floor as well.

Just wondering, how do I get live, real time images from the camera? Using CGI? But I think connection over the Internet doesn't provide the ability for live imaging....(not sure)...ideas PLEASE?Also, how can I send signal to control the stepper motor so it would move as I ask from the control centre? ...again..ideas please....

ArrGee 17:59 03 Mar 07

Set up a hotmail account on each machine, then use Remote Assistance (Start - All Programs - Remote Assistance) to control the laptop that has the camera attached.

That's probably the simplest way to control the camera.

In order to capture the webcam footage, this could be a good way:
click here

ArrGee 18:06 03 Mar 07

Just for a bit of fun, go to Google on type this in the search box:
unurl:/view/index.shtml

Might be worth looking into how it works as a solution for yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…