Network Configuration.

smudge1927 14:51 10 Jan 04

Hi All.

I am trying to set up a wirless network and am having certain problems. I have one machine on Windows XP and two on Windows 98se. I have a wirless router which is set to act as a server. On the machine running XP I have a wirless network adaptor attached and have a wirless network card in one of the machines on 98. I have not installed to other card on the other machine as I want to use one as a test and as the one I am using has been recently formatted then that is the best option. I want to be able to see the two 98 machines on the XP one. I have configured the router correctly because I am able to access the internet through it and on the test 98 machine I am also able to access the net. I just want to be able to see this machine on the XP one and then I can set the other 98 machine later after the test is working correctly. I also want to limit the bandwidth used on the two 98 machines and be able to see what they have on their machines but disable their ability to see the XP machine.

Please help as this is driving me mad.

Martin

LeadingMNMs 15:43 10 Jan 04

Make sure that any firewalls are disabled (these can be configured to work on the network later). If you haven't already run the network setup wizard on both machines. If you open a browser now and type "\\Computer Name" then it should show the computer you want to see. You should also check that File and Printer sharing is enabled on both machines and that the 98 machine has a folder that is shared.

smudge1927 17:50 10 Jan 04

hi. thanks for the advice. how do i check if both machines have File and Printer sharing wnabled on both machines and that the 98 machine has a folder that is shared.

vinnyo123 22:15 10 Jan 04

98 right click my network places>properties>check network components installed

xp open my network places>right click LAN connections>properties..
(TCP properties)

as for shares you can share what you you want on each machine.right click>sharing

as for bandwidth on LAN you can set NIC for half ,duplex or full duplex.

WAN gonna be a problem unless you have a cisco router .....

not sure if this helps but post back ....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…