network cards what do they do?

bigboab y 16:11 31 May 03

What function do network cards perform?? I know they can link computers together.. but have they any other function?

Lú-tzé 16:23 31 May 03

That is about it - they "network" PCs. If you think of their full title, Network Interface Cards, (NICs) then you will see that they are the interface between machines.

Lú-tzé 16:25 31 May 03

click here for a definition from the web encyclopaedia.

Rayuk 16:36 31 May 03

Also used for Cable Broadband connections

bigboab y 18:34 31 May 03

So if you have a network card,do you need an external broadband modem?

jazzypop 18:40 31 May 03

No. What kind of broadband are you referring to? ADSL, Cable, ISDN?

A network card is just one method of linking together PCs, or peices of PC kit, that you want to link up.

Rayuk 18:55 31 May 03

If you have tv set top box[ntl telewest]you use a cat cable from the box to the network card.The modem is in the set top box.
Using the phone lines I would not know

bigboab y 21:25 31 May 03

My son had BT broadband using a broadband modem supplied by BT ... got a new computer..the guy who set it up (a BT guy btw) said he didnt need the external modem as there was a card installed in the new puter which did the business instead..got a wee green light flashing (just like a network card) at the back (hewlett packard job) ... so what kind of card is that?? just curious guys/gals

jazzypop 21:28 31 May 03

It could be an internal ADSL modem - look in Device Manager for more info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…