Network card problem

Tecno Dan 15:58 12 Dec 03

hello all,

My problem is that I have a computer that will not comunicate with my network or perform a loop back test using the address

The computer worked fine a couple of months ago and then suddenly it droped of the network. I tried connecting a laptop to the network from that port and it connected fine (so the cable should be ok). I then have tried 3 new network cards and I still have the same problem. I have also tried different PCI port's on the computer.

With each card I tried the lights came on at the back and the lights came on the switch for that port.

Im beginnign to think its the computer hardware somewhere or the operating system.

Would some one be able to advise me?

many thanks

AndySD 16:12 12 Dec 03

Try turning off the pc and remove the NIC reboot and check that the network settings are removed. Turn off and install a NIC reboot and load the drivers.

Tecno Dan 17:09 12 Dec 03

ok AndyDS, I removed the card and then rebooted and removled all referances to the network cards. Then when I rebooted with the card in it came up saying it had found a card that I tired weeks ago.

I believe the regestray has become messed up. Where about in the regestary can I clear out all referances to network cards?

Or is there a better way,

spikeychris 17:40 12 Dec 03

What operating system is it TD?

InZaNE_mOdS 17:43 12 Dec 03

do you use any firewalls? if so, then disable them all and see if it is recognised on the network.

Tecno Dan 17:46 12 Dec 03

windows 98, I have been battling with this problem for months. So I've checked stuff firewalls ect allready.

spikeychris 17:53 12 Dec 03

Have you checked the host files? Might be an idea before looking in the reg.

Click Start, Find, and then click Files or Folders.

In the Named box, type hosts. open the file with Notepad and and have a look. Is there any entries for the local host ( Localhost),

Tecno Dan 18:13 12 Dec 03

yes there is an entry for the local host. A problem I have at the moment is that i cant get windows to read the card as what is really is and now there are no lights at the back at all :/

thanks for your help so far guys

spikeychris 18:18 12 Dec 03

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled TCP/IP

Tecno Dan 18:27 12 Dec 03

checked the host file and there is an entry for local host.

The current status is that windows now does not properly recognise the network card in the machine, and instead as some other card i tried months ago.

Idealy I would like to flush all network card information form the regestray. Any ideas?

AndySD 18:39 12 Dec 03

The make of network card?

Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if there are multiole entries for it there?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…