Network card prevents downloads

Epirb406 19:00 24 Oct 03

hi all, have installed a USR wireless network card and when it is enabled I can't download exe files or join chat rooms, any pointers?

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 10:33 25 Oct 03

48 Hours since I emailed USR about this and no response, is it a totally new one to everyone?

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 16:14 25 Oct 03

Don't have a router, errrr, not sure where to find my gateway, can you point me at it?

Thanx, Epirb.

Epirb406 18:09 25 Oct 03

Anyone any ideas, am I asking the wrong question, can I provide anymore info?

Love to solve this one, cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 16:01 26 Oct 03

Don't seem to be too good at being here when you are, hope you are about at the moment as noone else seems to have any ideas! (Sure that I'll now be proved wrong!)

I connect to the internet with a single channel isdn connection, which I beleive to all intents and purposes is exactly the same as standard dial up connection.

The PC is plugged straight into the wall and the laptop shares with Microsoft ICS.

However, the problem affects the PC even when the Laptop is not connected.

Unless the PCI wireless card is ticked as disabled in this profile I cannot download exe files or get into chat rooms but all other functionallity remains.

Very odd and my hair is now not only grey but being torn out. The only possible report I can find on the web is of a similar problem with XP. Problem is that it is on a pay for advice site and though I can see the questions I can't see the answers!

Thanks for sticking with it everyone, hope I can post a triumphal sucess message one of these soon days.

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 17:14 28 Oct 03

From Any More..?

Cheers, Epirb.

jonnytub 18:19 28 Oct 03

have you got updated drivers for your card ? Does the card have built in or software controlled access permissions ? Check for conflicts on the device.

Epirb406 18:48 28 Oct 03

Yes, new drivers downloaded.

No conflicts indicated on device.

Access permissions.....not absolutly sure what you mean, think it's software, not hardware like a router would be. Where to look next?

Thanks, Epirb.

Epirb406 18:30 29 Oct 03

Surely I'll meet my computer genius, at at least from some one who has heard of this problem.....?

PS have Norton Anti virus, disabling it makes no difference to the problem but could it be a culprit?

jonnytub 21:45 29 Oct 03

have you completely disabled norton av through the task manager, this is usually nprotect.exe, navapsvc.exe. have you also temporarily disabled any kind if firewall. (the risk is small if the time is limited enough for you to test on a small known SAFE download without a firewall.) What firewall software are you running?

Epirb406 15:34 02 Nov 03

Hi all,

I'm still here worring away at this one, think I may have narrowed things down a bit so here is a recap.

I have a USR wireless PCI card in my PC. When this card is enabled (from the device manager) I can no longer download files with an exe extention or use any (AFAIK) chat rooms.

I have win ME.
I do not have a router or a firewall.

To track this down to the bare bones I installed a fresh hard drive and did a completely clean minimal installation.

Before I installed graphics or sound cards or any of the other distractions I installed my Wireless Network card and The Tornado Tipa P PCI terminal adaptor which I use to connect to the internet.

The problem was the same, no downloads of exe files and no chat, otherwise normal browsing.

I now assume that this is some sort of conflict between the devices but further than that I am a loss, anyone got ANY ideas before I take the PC down the garden and throw it as far into the feild as I can?

Thanks, Epirb.

PS USR insist that there is nothing in their kit to cause this and that they have never come accross the problem. To be honest they were very friendly and efficient but don't seem to be able to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…