Network Card or Broadband Modem

warren2004g 04:16 13 Aug 03

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a 10/100 network card to access adsl instead of an adsl modem?

DieSse 08:38 13 Aug 03

No it isn't. You always need an ADSL (or cable) modem.

The confusion here is that there are two types of modem - one plugs into a USB port, the other plugs into a network card. Some will even plug into eother type of port.

warren2004g 16:02 13 Aug 03

Much appreciated, just didnt fancy splashing £50 for the modem

beastieboy 16:07 13 Aug 03

U can if the cable is connected to a router or hub or another system but can't connect directly

Jester2K II 16:08 13 Aug 03

DieSse - for future ref. Is there and advantage / disadvantage over either connection?

DieSse 21:31 13 Aug 03

Not that I'm aware of, the ADSL link is much slower than either. I use a USB modem (with a standard Spanish 256K/128K service) - hardly seems to overtax the system!

bambam005 23:09 14 Aug 03

If you want easy access in no time at all a router is far more reliable then a USB modem , the NIC card , as long as you install a good one will serve you well over a long time . The connection will remain on truly 24/7 as well , it will not disconnect until you power down the router for 5 mins or longer .

With USB modems you'll find that you end up uninstalling and re-installing the modem drivers time and time again - although not the same thing can be said for every USB modem - there are some which are way better than others , have a good look around to be sure to find the one that best fits the bill .

warren2004g 00:30 15 Aug 03

I have a hub and a network card, the hub is a hp ProCurve Networking autosensing 10/100 hub that can be seen here (click here) would I be able to use that? I also have a pci internal network card. Is it possible to not buy the adsl modem then?

DieSse 08:57 15 Aug 03

"Is it possible to not buy the adsl modem then?"

You simply need to make sure that it han a LAN port that will plug directly into your Hub. Then all your systems on the local LAN will be able to use the modem, via the hib, to access the net.

The hub you show is not normally what I would expect to find in a home - how many systems are we talking about here?

If it's in an office, and we're talking several systems, why don't you simply get BT to come and set it all up for you.

I find it marginally interseting that you have a definately non-basic hub, yet you're worried about a fairly small amount for a modem.

warren2004g 09:38 15 Aug 03

The hub was given to me by a work colleague about 6 months ago and the only thing I have ever done with it is play network games with a couple of other users which I am fine with, I do know its overkill...

So I plug the micro filter into the wall, the adsl modem to the hub, then the hub to the network card in the back of the machine and then install the BT software? All advice is greatly appreciated by the way :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…