Network card causes audio/video crash!!

miramax 18:07 11 Jan 03
  miramax 18:07 11 Jan 03

I recently installed a cable modem for broadband internet (supplied by NTL). I was connecting at very poor speeds - a tec visited and said I had a problem with my USB coms with the modem, & suggested I fit an Ethernet PCI card which I did. I now have full speed broadband, but if I try to stream audio or video by PC locks up and restarts. This is sometimes happening at random as well for no reason. I am now finding that I can not play music or video offline using any of my media players (locking up after a few minuets) Any Ideas folks??

Lú-tzé 21:57 11 Jan 03

IRQ conflicts perhaps? Check in device manager for any conflicts / problems there.

click here for some suggestions re. irq conflicts

Lú-tzé 20:06 12 Jan 03

Two messages received from miramax:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for that. I have checked every device and found FIVE using the same IRQ setting as the new network card.On attempting to change any settings in the way suggested in the link you provided, I get the message 'this resource setting can not be modified' Do you know any way round this.
Thanks again in anticipation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have printed out an IRQ Summary -nine devices are using the same interrupt. I understand only 00-15 are available so it looks as if my system is overloaded?? (25 devices allocated to 16 IQR's) This may be why Windows is not allowing any changes as their is no free IQR's?? Does this make any sense?!?

End of message.

Can anyone help?

I think that perhaps some old hardware is still being supported but it may not be there. Try to remove from the Device Manager anything that you know is not on the pc now - old modems, printers, scanners etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…