Network can share files but i dont get internet

smc1 16:22 28 Dec 05

i had a dialer, i deleted it, and my Network works, but i cant get internet...why? Because i've put the IP and things in it. Any advise apprichiated, this is a Christmas present and i need to use the internet and am unable to.

retep888 16:30 28 Dec 05

What connection method do you use? Broadband or Dialup?

Broadband isn't affected by dialer normally.

<< Because i've put the IP and things in it. >> What do you mean by that?

smc1 17:04 28 Dec 05

The settings seems to go, so i put the IP adress and Gateway in, but still cannot connect to the internet, yet i can send files from downstairs computer to my upstairs computer.

smc1 17:09 28 Dec 05

I have Broadband btw

retep888 17:22 28 Dec 05

I think we'll need more informations about your systems, so whoever available can help.

OS (both)

What was the original problem? What have you done?

Router (wireless?) make & model

What IP address and Gateway you've put in?

Which ISP?

smc1 17:49 28 Dec 05

OS (both)

Windows XP Home Edition

What was the original problem? What have you done?

I had the internet working for about 30 mins until i got the dialer virus. After i deleted the virus, the internet still wouldn't run. I fiddled about and made the systems be able to file-share, so i've just been sending my MP3s on my new computer (The computer that wont go online)

Router (wireless?) make & model

Belkin

Wireless USB 54g

What IP address and Gateway you've put in?

(should i really provide this information)

Which ISP?

BT Buisness Broadband

mgmcc 22:01 28 Dec 05

<<< What IP address and Gateway you've put in? >>>

You shouldn't have put anything in, the addresses should be allocated by the router's DHCP server.

<<< (should i really provide this information) >>>

As you will be using essentially the same addresses as everyone else using a Belkin router, I don't think it's any great secret. Your addresses should all be in the 192.168.2.x subnet with the router itself (and thus the Default Gateway) being 192.168.2.1

retep888 01:48 29 Dec 05

As mgmcc already pointed out it's not a secret to disclose the ip address as all Belkin wireless router use the same addresses.

The default gateway if asigned by DHCP will be 192.168.2.1 and the rest of the client pcs will be from 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.254.

If you put in any addresses other than these, you're in trouble.That's why I asked.

I can tell you my ip address of this pc I'm using, as I'm using Netgear router, my default gateway is 192.168.0.1, ip address is 192.168.0.10, it's not great secret at all.

smc1 16:57 30 Dec 05

Big thanks, problem is now over. Thanks for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…