network cables outdoors?

chris6891 14:52 19 Feb 04

are network cables like, waterproof? I need to run a network cable from upstairs (router) to downstairs where one of my PC's are. I could drill through the house in order to lay the cable, but the best option would be to have the cable run outside the room and down the side of the house in order to hide the cable, as a big yellow cable is quite ugly running through the house! Therefore my question, is it possible to run the network cable outside, or will it need some sort of proofing? Thanks.

stlucia 14:58 19 Feb 04

Yes, it's waterproof so long as it's not damaged. But in the longer term it might suffer from degradation due to the effects of sunlight and general weathering.

If you do run it outside, make sure you leave a small loop hanging down just before it enters the house, so that water running down it will drip off rather than coming through the wall or window frame where the cable enters.

chris6891 16:02 19 Feb 04

ahh good thinking with the loop :d thanks a lot!

Mysticnas 16:11 19 Feb 04

having a big yellow cable will look a tad ugly inside..

but don't you think it'd look worse outside???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…