Network cable unplugged after format

Catastrophe 05:43 11 Sep 08

Having suffered network cable unplugged I have formatted and reloaded XP. BUT it is still there: Network cable unplugged. YES it is plugged in. Is this a fault in the box into which the cables are plugged?

This is a spare PC, by the way. All PCs on the network give same message.

mgmcc 08:24 11 Sep 08

Network Cable Unplugged usually indicates:

a) One or other end of the cable isn't plugged in properly to the RJ45 port.
b) The wrong type of cable has been used - "crossover" instead of "straight-wired" or vice versa.
c) The ethernet cable is damaged.
d) One or other of the RJ45 ports is damaged.

If you are experiencing the problem with *ALL* computers connecting by ethernet cable to a router, I would suspect that the router's built-in network switch has failed.

Catastrophe 09:39 11 Sep 08

mgmcc

Thank you for your reply. Everything previously worked fine so I guess cables etc. are correct.

Power light is on and (two PCs currently connected) both lights 'blink' - not on continuously. Does this mean anything?

At PC end one 'blinks' but the other PC does not seem to have similar blink mechanism. Have fitted a new PCI card to another PC with no different result.

'Box' is SAFECOM 10/100M Fast Ethernet Switch.

DieSse 10:24 11 Sep 08

Have you tried disconnecting the switch from the mains - waiting 1 minute, then reconnecting.

This will reset the switch. My switch often needs a reset after power failures, for instance.

Also, after reformatting, make sure the driver for the ethernet card/port is loaded and working.

woodchip 10:41 11 Sep 08

It could be a Faulty Modem, My son as just had is replaced by TalkTalk to a Wireless one for free as he had only had the other about six weeks and the socket connection at the back for phone line and bad connection internal

Catastrophe 15:54 11 Sep 08

DieSse

"Have you tried disconnecting the switch from the mains - waiting 1 minute, then reconnecting.

This will reset the switch. My switch often needs a reset after power failures, for instance."

Left unplugged for several hours. No difference.

"Also, after reformatting, make sure the driver for the ethernet card/port is loaded and working."

Does not XP auto?

Catastrophe 15:57 11 Sep 08

woodchip

Thank you for your input.

"It could be a Faulty Modem, My son as just had is replaced by TalkTalk to a Wireless one for free as he had only had the other about six weeks and the socket connection at the back for phone line and bad connection internal"

There is no modem on this network. For security reasons Internet access is through a separate PC.

DieSse 17:31 11 Sep 08

I think you better explain the exact setup you've got.

What the role of the "separate PC is"

Where the switch is

etc

Catastrophe 18:50 11 Sep 08

DieSse

"I think you better explain the exact setup you've got.

What the role of the "separate PC is"

Where the switch is

etc"

C=PC

C2 is not on network. Only one Internet connected (for security reasons). C1 not on network.

C3 and C4 on XP (Home and Prof respectively). C5 on Vista.

C3-5 previously worked using existing PCI and cables and switch (SAFECOM as above). New PCI put in C3 but no change.

The switch is located vertically on (below) a shelf as previously. It has been powered for a long time - can it have 'burnt out'? Power light is on and numbers 'blink'.

Any other info needed?

Thank you all for your input.

:)

DieSse 19:12 11 Sep 08

I didn't mean physically where the switch is - I meant in the network scheme!

Which PC is connected to the internet? - how does it connect (modem, router, etc) - to what kind of connection (cable, ADSL, or other)?

What is the switch connected to - (or perhaps you mean router?)

How many systems are connected to the switch?

Are there any other connections related to the network?

GaT7 19:29 11 Sep 08

"Also, after reformatting, make sure the driver for the ethernet card/port is loaded and working."

"Does not XP auto?"

Sometimes it's not done & you have to do it manually. Check if the network adapter/PCI card is showing up in Device Manager > Network adapters (it's NOT the '1394 Net Adapter'), & there are NO exclamation marks there.

Sometimes the motherboard drivers (which may include the network drivers) need to be manually installed. But if the separate PCI network card is showing up as 'working', there's probably another problem.

Also see: How to troubleshoot the following message in Windows XP: "A network cable is unplugged" click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…