Network Cable Unplugged

provider 2 11:46 11 Dec 06

Since Windows XP sp2 persists in complaining that a network cable is unplugged (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network), would it do any harm if I connected and enabled it, or would that be likely to set up a device conflict since GlobeSpnUSB ADSL and 1394NetAdapter are already connected?

BurrWalnut 14:33 11 Dec 06

Does it complain or does the balloon appear when you hover the mouse pointer over it?

If you're not using it, disable it in the BIOS.

provider 2 14:58 11 Dec 06

BurrWalnut,
This is the major question. It is disconnected and disabled yet the message always appears at start-up in the notification area.
Windows seems to think, however, that I should be using it and I don`t have the knowlege to decide one way or the other.
Do I have a choice of which device I use to connect to the Internet or is this always decided by the AOL broadband installation disc software?

provider 2 15:22 11 Dec 06

I have run AOL`s Broadband Assistant diagnostic and though it does list both connected and disconnected items, it offers no advice as to whether the system is optimised or not.

BurrWalnut 16:02 11 Dec 06

Just go into the BIOS and disable it, look for OnBoard LAN or similar wording.

It's easily reversible.

provider 2 16:23 11 Dec 06

BurrWalnut,
Thanks for the advice. You think this device is purely for connecting up local computers, then?
Trouble is, I have had another adviser say that it has an Internet connection function too, regardless of whether or not I have a LAN so that disabling it from the BIOS would be unwise.

BurrWalnut 18:21 11 Dec 06

It does but if you are connecting without it, disable it.

Ashrich 19:18 11 Dec 06

Go into Network connections , right click on your Network card , select properties and untick the box for " show me when this connection has limited or no connectivity " that should do it .

Ashley

Ashrich 19:20 11 Dec 06

Actually , you can untick the other box with it as well ....

Ashley

provider 2 21:15 11 Dec 06

Ashrich,
I`ve just been to check. Both of the boxes you specified are unchecked and as far as I know, have been unchecked all along.
I have also been to the "customise" function of the notification area to ensure that the red-crossed symbol is set to "always hide" . The odd thing is that even on these settings the baloon with cable unplugged manages to pop up from behind the AOL -connection available symbol.

provider 2 21:21 11 Dec 06

Is there perhaps some sort of priority selection setting that Windows is reading? Maybe indicating that the preferred connection is the Intel device rather than the GlobeSpan one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009