Network, Cable Reliability

WaiKent 14:57 28 Oct 03

hi i was just going to buy a cat5 utp cable 15 metres for my network from my router downstairs to my pc upstairs. is this network reliable, and will the speed drop because it is longer?

Giant68 17:15 28 Oct 03

You should see no speed drop, with the cat5 cable you are likely to be buying the distance limitation is 328ft. I run a network through a hub and router with the PC's 25m apart and have no trouble

Giant68

Smiler 18:55 28 Oct 03

I have networked two computers (one desktop & one laptop) with a 25m Cat5 crossover cable and the speed is ultra fast. It's seems as quick copying from one computer to another as it is copying from one hard disc on my desktop to the second hard disc on my desktop.

WaiKent 13:48 29 Oct 03

thanks but, btw if i bend the cable will the frequency drop and also speed as i was told by a friend. Is that why they come rolled up. and is it best to feed the cable through the wall as mine would go around the doorway.

Sir Radfordin 14:37 29 Oct 03

If you actually bend the cable or put a kink in it then it will reduce the performance and reliability. Keeping the cable as flat and straight as you can will help - but thats not to say you can't successfully go around corners!

Have got 3 lengths of 20m cable running through my house to different rooms (under doors) and don't have any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…