network cable disconnected?

Nos Bigkin 21:35 31 May 08

Hi all,

Trying to sort out my mother-in-law's internet connection. Just spent 30mins talking to 'sky' running through, firewalls, deleting history cookies etc but all with no joy.

One thing i did notice once i put the phone down was that within the network connection page that it said that the 'network connection cable is disconnected' which it isn't.
Any ideas.

Thanks Nos

brundle 22:21 31 May 08

Need more information. Didn't they ask you to check the connections? Laptop, desktop, wireless (seeing as Sky provide a wireless router) or wired connection? Recent problem, or new installation that won't work?

Nos Bigkin 08:29 01 Jun 08

Thanks for replying brundle!
Yes they did ask about being connected right and it was checked, all appeared ok.

Desk top running XP.

It is a wireless router but we're hard wiring it and if this is any help, its the black router from sky.
And it is a new router, as their previous router failed so this is their replacment.
Nos

citadel 09:55 01 Jun 08

if the motherboard has a built in port you are not using it says network cable is unplugged. It says this on my pc as I am using the usb instead of the ethernet port on one of my pc's.

brundle 15:12 01 Jun 08

Not familiar with any Sky router other than the Netgear ones they (used to?) supply. What citadel says is correct (though I would always recommend Ethernet connection over USB) - the message may have been related to a firewire connection. Unlikely, but possible.

I take it they asked you to check the Local Area Connection for the router, to ensure it was giving your PC an IP address?

Quite important to make a note of exactly what you're seeing in the Network Connections page (XP or Vista?) otherwise you may end up troubleshooting the wrong connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…