Network cable

reddwarfcrew 21:03 06 Mar 05

Didn't realise there was a network forum....

I want to create a network from my PC upstairs to my lounge.

Now I know I can use a wireless network card, but I'd prefer to have it wired.

I have a standard tv coax cable from the lounge to the loft which I can easily drop into the room upstairs, which is unused. Can I utilise this to carry the signal. If so how?

Thanks.

LastChip 22:04 06 Mar 05

Sorry. the closest would be Thin Ethernet, but the loss due to a completely different frequency range through coax (I suspect) would be too great for it to be of use. Further, even if you could utilise it, it would be almost impossible to terminate onto a BNC connector. This is now an old system with a maximum theoretical throughput of 10Mbs, whereas the standard is now 100Mbs, with many new networks utilising the new Gigabit standard.

Your best hope I would have thought, is to use that cable to pull a new one; maybe?

FelixTCat 23:37 06 Mar 05

As LastChip says, your existing cable is probably not usable. However, depending on the layout of the house, it may not be too difficult to run a cable along the skirting boards, down through the cavities (if you're brave) or out of the window and in again.

However, by the time you have done all that, it would probably be cheaper (and surely easier) to get 2 wireless cards from someone like eBuyer, e.g. click here or click here

reddwarfcrew 00:39 07 Mar 05

What I actaully want is to buy one of these new devices that streams your music to your hifi and video to your TV.

I'd heard though, that the wireless option wasn't fast enough to cope with DVD quality video (although fine for mp3's).

SEASHANTY 11:03 12 Mar 05

Most ethernet Lan cables come with the RJ45 plugs connected at either end. Pulling it through would necessitate increasing the hole sizes to take the plug before you could pull it through with the co-ax cable. click here
I have a 20 metre cable running lower to upper floor but its draped about to avoid the above problem.

LastChip 18:16 12 Mar 05

The way to do this, is to run straight cable and terminate in a box with an RJ45 socket faceplate. Some are now available with small terminals, others use the "squash between two prongs" type approach.

You then use terminated RJ45 cables, to connect from the box to the device.

There is then no need for large holes and it is a much more professional looking job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…