Network between two computers - sharing files

mightymouse_toon 12:02 10 Jan 08

I have a wireless laptop running XP and a standard PC running XP. I used to be able to share files and folders no problems between the two, however i reinstalled windows on the PC and have no longer been able to share the folders.

I have both computers set up on the same workgroup MSHOME. I then go into share options for the folder i wish to share and tick the 'share this folder on the network' and 'allow network users to change my files' boxes.

From the PC when i click on 'view workgroup computers' i can see both the laptop and the pc computer. From the PC i can acess the shared laptops files no problems. However when i use the laptop, i can click on 'view workgroup computers' i can see both the laptop and the pc, but when i double click on the PC icon it tells me that the '\\computer is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administratot of this server to find out if you have access permissions. access is denied'.

I must be doing something simple wrong. can anywone help?

scotty 13:45 10 Jan 08

Do you have any firewalls running (either Windows own or a third party program)? If so, try disabling firewalls temporarily to see if sharing works.

mightymouse_toon 16:36 10 Jan 08

On the PC and the laptop the windows firewalls are switched off. There are is no third party firewalls.

The only virus protection (mcafee) is on the laptop.

scotty 11:19 11 Jan 08

Can you see the computer if you type its IP address into the Explorer address bar?

mightymouse_toon 13:22 11 Jan 08

No.

Strange thing is though i have a printer attached to the PC. I can install the printer on the laptop over the network and the printer works fine, just for some reason i cannot file share.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos