Network Beginner

si67 14:26 08 Oct 07

Hi

I'm a total newbie to Home Networking and would appreciate some advice to set up a network.

I wish to network 2 desktop PC's - main PC runs Vista HP, and 2nd PC runs XP Pro. Can I network between these 2 operating systems?

I have Virgin Broadband 4MB connected to back of main PC running Vista HP. The main PC has internet connected to it via ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (ETHERNET).

I'm considering the following products:

Netgear DG834PN RangeMax MIMO-G Wireless ADSL Modem Router with 4-port 10/100 switch

Netgear RangeMax WPN311 Wireless PCI Adapter

the adapter is for the 2nd PC. Do I need another adapter for the 1st PC?

Any help with these 2 questions would be really helpful.

Thanks

Si67

keef66 14:52 08 Oct 07

If your broadband is via cable then you can't use an ADSL modem/router, you'd need instead a DSL router to use with your existing cable modem (often called cable routers)

You'd only need a wireless adapter for first pc if neither are situated next to the router. I'd have the first pc wired to the router via network (aka network)cable, and the second talking wirelessly to the router via the pci card you suggest buying

I have networked pc's running win 98se and XP Home, so I'm sure Vista and XP would be similarly simple to set up

si67 14:54 08 Oct 07

Thanks keef66 - great help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…