Network advice for a Novice!

mack 11:36 22 Apr 03

Is there a guide for total newbies on how to set up a home network? Most online sites I've checked assume some knowledge!

Essentially I have a broadband Cable connection with Blueyonder (on a PC running win98), and want to add a second PC onto the connection (which will have XP)- probably via a router so that I don't need both pcs switched on at once. I would be grateful for any advice on how to go about this, what is the best hardware to buy etc.

TIA!

freakbrothers 11:39 22 Apr 03

Check out click here

They have sum really good sections in their, for networking to installing hardware

HTH,

Freddy

Sparks 17:52 22 Apr 03

If you have a bit of time to spare take a look at this lot. click here

King Diamond 18:14 22 Apr 03

click here

You will never go wrong with the above. It is the easiest way to set up a home network and includes it's own firewall. However I advise you to use Zonealarm with it as well and away you'll go.

I have the above with ZA also and 3pc's with 1 laptop all networked and it's the best piece of gear I have ever bought.

Go to your network connections in the control panel and enter the following into the relevant area.

Equipment -

1 x Links Router
3 x CAT 5 cables with RJ45 connectors (1 for each pc to the router and 1 from router to modem)
2 x NIC Cards installed in each pc

First you have to give each pc an IP -

PC1 - 192.168.1.10
PC2 - 192.168.1.20
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway - 192.168.1.1

Enter your ISP's DNS numbers.

You also should enter a network name eg MSHOME, all pc's will need to know this name to connect to your network and share files.

Basically your PC's and your router all need local IP addresses to identify them within the network.

Do not confuse Local IP's with Internet IP's, they are very different. Local is your pc's and the other is obviously for the net. Your router will give you an internet ip automatically, so nothing to worry about there.

Need more help with it then e-mail me. I have had the above router for a year now with no problems at all. Buy it and e-mail me and I'll hep you through it's configuration.

mack 19:53 22 Apr 03

thanks all - that should (hopefully) get me started!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac