Network advice (for a newbie) - Printer sharing

matt-few 18:57 16 Jan 10

I want to set up a wireless network for my two PCs and Mac.

Both PCs have a usb printer attached. If the PC's have a USB 'N" wireless network adaptor, can I use this as a way to share the printers across my network?

Also, does anyone know of any great websites for setting up a PC and Mac network with printer and hard drive / file sharing.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

ame 23:19 16 Jan 10

Not sure about the mac, but unless you have a wireless print server, to access another printer connected locally to another machine, that machine must be on. You can say the same for file sharing - a network hard drive storage solution is easier unless you've got all the machines on all the time. What operating systems do the pc's run? Before you go ahead, best to realise the limitations.

matt-few 23:45 16 Jan 10

Thanks ame

I have two destops running Windows XP Pro SP3.

ame 00:17 17 Jan 10

and what mac os vesion?

mgmcc 08:56 17 Jan 10

File sharing with the Mac should be straightforward. Put the Mac into the same "Workgroup" as the PCs by going in "Finder" to "Utilities > Directory Access". Highlight SMB/CFS, tick its box and click the Configure button. Enter your Workgroup name.

Now go to System Preferences and open the "Sharing" applet in Internet & Network. Tick the boxes for "Personal File Sharing" and "Windows Sharing".

You should now be able to access your files in the Mac from a Windows PC. From the Mac, you can access the "shared" folders in a Windows PC - in Finder select "Go > Connect to Server" and type in the computer name using the format:

smb://computername

smb://computername/sharedfolder

Setting up printer sharing, with the printer connected to a Windows PC, I personally found to be a total nightmare. I have a Brother all-in-one attached to an XP PC that I can print to from the Mac. My HP deskjet I have never managed to set up over the network. Have a look at these Apple pages which may help if simply adding a printer doesn't work. click here click here

ame 21:05 17 Jan 10

Have you set up an Xp network yet? If not click here As for the mac click here may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…