network advantage

mrh 18:00 12 May 03

have been sharing a broadband connection between 2 pc's (xp home and me) for quite some time - through a netgear router - no problems since day one - both though already have printers - what advantage to 'network' and should it just now be straight forward to set up? - do you fine people out there think it's worth it
thanks in advance

stoner 18:05 12 May 03

just about to do the same but hesitate in case XP & ME won't network together!?

mrdsgs 18:16 12 May 03

very easy to set up and benefits are filesharing between the pcs and both machines can access "shared resources" such as printers that are attached to either pc, eg laser printer on one and colour inkjet on the other

mrdsgs 18:16 12 May 03

very easy to set up and benefits are filesharing between the pcs and both machines can access "shared resources" such as printers that are attached to either pc, eg <nobr><a style="BORDER-BOTTOM: green 2px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:black" href="click here|82|60988|1|16|AdId=156251;link=click here|60988|1|16&ai=163090&di=3185&redir=click here" target="_blank" onmouseover="st(this,event,'Canon make it easier to bring colour to your network');" onmouseout="ht();">laser printer</a></nobr> on one and colour <nobr><a style="BORDER-BOTTOM: green 2px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:black" href="click here|82|60988|1|16|AdId=156251;link=click here|60988|1|16&ai=163090&di=3192&redir=click here" target="_blank" onmouseover="st(this,event,'Canon make it easier to bring colour to your network');" onmouseout="ht();">inkjet</a></nobr> on the other

Murray 18:45 12 May 03

Can we presume that they are already both already connected to the router. I guess they would use TCP/IP to do this, the best (simplist) way to achieve file sharing as mentioned above is by simply enabling file and print sharing

I havent done this for a while but i think all versions of windows are pretty similar in the department.

Right click network places/neighbourhood on the desktop and select properties. (In XP you may have to select properties on Local Area Connection now). On the tabs somewhere should be an option to enable file and printer sharing. Cant remember where exactly

You will need to share drives and printers on both computers too - right click, select sharing...

When thats done, you can simply map drives from my computer, so for example your N: drive on one computer will be the C drive on the other, or you can access the other computer directly thru network places.

mrh 19:57 12 May 03

Yes they are all ready connected to the router - will give your advise a go
thanks for reply

mrh 11:42 13 May 03

ticked for file and print sharing - all ok - problem is ask's for password on me pc - may try to run network wizard on xp pc and go from there - unless any other suggestions
mrh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5