Network adapter stopped working

william16 14:25 17 Feb 08

Hi

I have a network adapter installed on my laptop-this is identified on the system as 1394 Net Adapter #4. Untill recently it has been working properly; as soon as I boot the laptop a strobe light is activated and it would automatically detect the router. For some reason, the strobe light no longer works and it would not connect to the internet. When I check status in Network Connections, this shows "Connected" When I check the status in Device Manager section, it shows that the device is in working order !!

Any ideas what happened?

Response is most appreciated.

With thanks
William

Ashrich 14:42 17 Feb 08

1394 Net adapter #4 is actually a firewire connection on the PC , for download movies from Camcorders etc. , not really for internet/network access , although they get listed as in theory they can act as a high speed network if 2 of them are properly connected .

What you should be looking for is either your wireless card , and/or the network adapter that is usually built in to the motherboard .

Ashley

william16 19:48 17 Feb 08

Hi Ashley

Many thanks for your prompt response and comments noted. I went through device manager again; I cannot find any ref to a wireless card. How do I locate the network adaptor that is built on the motherboard? Do you think that this has recently stopped working?

Thanks & regards
William

Ashrich 00:36 18 Feb 08

Is the wireless card switched on ? There is usually a combination of key presses to turn it on ( fn + whatever ) or it may have had the drivers corrupted , can you connect through ethernet cable ?

To see what you have in Device Manager , expand " Network Adapters " and see what is listed , it would be strange if nothing was there .....

Ashley

william16 20:32 18 Feb 08

Hi
I can connect through ethernet cable alright. When I expand Network adapters, it shows the ethernet socket as well as 1394 Net Adpater #4-referred to above !!

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now