Network Adapter Error- Virgin

antyp 03:04 16 Jan 08

Hi - Am trying to install virgin broadband via ethernet, but keeps coming up with Network Adapter error.
Virgin help files says I need to link the adaper to tcpip and suggests I right click/properties and select the tcp/ip - but this is already selected.

Virgin install disk just wont go beyond this as it seems to think the adapter isnt linked to TCP/IP

Any suggestions? I have tried uninstalling the driver and also disabling and re enabling the adapter
When I link the enthernet cable to the cable modem, it tries to connect and get an IP address etc, but just ends up showing as unconnected.
Help!

birdface 10:29 16 Jan 08

If using Ethernet it should connect automatically. Just switch of the modem for a minute when connected.Then switch it back on and leave for 2 minutes see if that makes the connection.That all that I had to do with my Grandaughters new laptop.

antyp 21:30 16 Jan 08

its not an issue with the cable modem, as at this point in the installation, it isnt connected yet - and I have connected my laptop to the cable modem without any problem to get online to do this!

During the installation from the Virgin CD - it says that the adapter isnt "bound" to the TCP/IP and suggests right clicking the adapter icon, properties, and then selecting the TCP/IP option - but this is ALREADY selected - which suggests that there is another issue somewhere else, registry perhaps? Is there a way to completely reset the Windows XP networking defaults?

I have also disabled the onboard LAN via the bios and installed a new network card into an internal slot, but the same errors come up, which again suggest to me that its a Windows XP issue (maybe registry or a corrupt file somewhere)

Any ideas anyone?

birdface 23:08 16 Jan 08

So far I am not following what you mean.If connecting with Ethernet cable you don't need to use the virgin installation CD.

antyp 23:47 16 Jan 08

are you saying that if i just plug my pc into the cable modem, it will automatically be able to access the broadband?
A

antyp 23:50 16 Jan 08

i just tried updating the cards drivers - didnt make nay difference though

birdface 08:29 17 Jan 08

Grandaughter got a new laptop at Xmas.All we had to do was connect the Ethernet cable from the Modem to her Laptop.Switch the laptop on.Then switch the Modem off for a minute and switch it back on.it connected automatically.No installation Disc was required. This also was using Virgin.

birdface 09:37 17 Jan 08
  martjc 09:50 17 Jan 08

...try re-enabling onboard LAN. Then reboot the modem, wait two minutes and then try to connect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced