Network acessablity problems

Madscot_uk 11:38 31 Dec 05

I have set up a basic Pc to laptop network using cat5 crossover, both machines can see each other etc but when trying to access folders across the network link (ether way) i get the 'access administrator' message.

As there is no internet connection both firewalls are disabled, the laptop is running winxp home and the desktop xp pro....what am i doing wrong?

mgmcc 13:44 31 Dec 05

Have you actually set at least one folder in each PC as "shared" by right clicking it and selecting the Sharing & Security option?

As there is no internet involvement, have you allocated IP addresses manually to each of the network adapters, rather than letting Windows allocate addresses in the 169.254.x.x range which *may* not work?

If you are using third-party firewall software, it is probably better to configure it properly to allow access by networked computers, rather than disabling it. I'm always a bit sceptical about whether "disabling" firewalls does actually render them completely ineffective.

Have a look at this article about "client" access when accessing an XP Pro and the need to be logged in to both PCs with identical Usernames/Passwords. - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…