Network access problems

raeman 22:46 06 Jan 06

I have 2 computers(desktop and laptop) networked wirelessly using a 3COM router with no problems sharing internet connection but struggling with file and printer sharing . Desktop running XP home ,laptop XP Pro ,can see both on my network places ok but get the \\laptop is not accessible you might not have permission etc,but can access either computer by putting its IP address in the address bar e.g \\192.168.1.4 and then see and share files/printer . Both computers have different names and on same workgroup,file and printer sharing enabled and no firewall in use . Anyone got any idea what might cause this and what does it do differently when using an IP address as opposed to a name?

Forum Editor 23:18 06 Jan 06

is this present?

If not, try installing it.

1. Open Network Connections (Start/Control Panel)

2.Right-click any local area connection, and then click Properties.

3.On the General tab, click Install.

4.In the Select Network Component Type dialog box, click Protocol, and then click Add.

5.In the Select Network Protocol dialog box, click NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol, and then click OK.

See what happens.

raeman 11:33 07 Jan 06

Wasn't installed so have installed it , seems to be working but it has worked before although this looks more promising seemed like luck before. Thanks for the help.

Forum Editor 14:57 08 Jan 06

I hope it keeps working for you this time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5