Network access problem

mun 01:30 21 Aug 04

Hi, I've looked through many old posts on the forum but can't find an answer to what I think is a straightforward question, can anyone help please?
I have set up a home network of 2 PCs and a router (hard wired Netgear 834) which is also an ADSL modem. One PC is XP Pro and the other is XP Home. Used the network wizard which was ok and on both PCs have set up the workgroup as MSHOME and I can see the two network names beneath the workgroup in Explorer. So far so good. On the XP pro machine I can even drill right down into the 2 shared folders for each PC.But the problem comes on the XP home machine where I can see the shared folders for that PC but when I click on the XP Pro network name it comes up with a username/password box. I don't know why and I have no idea what to enter.
Any one got any bright ideas how to turn it off??
By the way, I do use Sygate's software firewall but have turned these off for the purpose of this exercise. I've looked high and low thru the Administrative Tools but can see nothing that would lead to this.
Thanks in advance,

mun 01:31 21 Aug 04

that the shared folders on both PC's are set "to share" under the sharing tab of Properties

mun 18:39 23 Aug 04

Can anyone help please??
Thanks in advance,

mun 18:44 23 Aug 04

Can anyone help please??
Thanks in advance,

mgmcc 19:14 23 Aug 04

If the XP Home PC is unable to access the XP Pro machine, because it requests a password, you may have to set up a User account in XP Pro with a name which is identical to that used to log on to XP Home.

If you don't have any particular User accounts set up in XP Home, but simply start Windows with the default Administrator account, right click "My Computer" and select Properties. In the General tab, you will see a "Registered to:" name. Set up a Username in XP Pro with that same name.

If XP Pro still plays "silly beggars", you may have to set up a new User account WITH A PASSWORD in both Pro and Home which is identical in both.

See if that gets you any further forward.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…