Network Access to Printer

DuncanG 12:56 13 Nov 05

Afternoon,

I have a small home wireless network using a Netgear DG834GT ADSL wireless router hardwired to my main PC. Two laptops use the router for internet access.

My printer is an Epson Stylus C84 photo edition that is connected to the main PC via USB.

How can i print from the laptops using the printer on the main PC?

LastChip 13:03 13 Nov 05

On each laptop, go to add printer, select network printer and then follow the wizard.

If you find you get an error, load the drivers ONLY from your printer software CD, and once you get a printer showing in Printers and Faxes, see if you can print a test page.

If not, delete the printer (the drivers will remain on the system) and then go back to the Add a Printer wizard, select Network Printer and it should install normally.

DuncanG 13:18 13 Nov 05

lastchip,

Thanks for the advice, but having no joy. When i click on the wizard it just lists my office networks and not my home one.

Currently i only surf the internet from my laptop, i cant actually 'see; my pc or files in explorer say. Do i have to set that network up first rather than just the internet access?

Chegs ® 13:27 13 Nov 05

Have you enabled the desktops printer as shared(hand underneath)

DuncanG 13:32 13 Nov 05

I think i have found the problem. When i try and run the network wizrad on my laptop, it states that this is not possible because it is part of a domain (its normally hooked up to my work network). Is there a way to have the laptop part of my work domain and hook up to my home network so i can share resources?

LastChip 13:52 13 Nov 05

Create a new user, log in as that and then re-create your home network.

That way, the two profiles will remain separate. You can have full home network resources via the new user and maintain your work environment as it is.

DuncanG 13:57 13 Nov 05

Cheers lastchip, will give it a crack.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…