Network - 3Com - NTL

Dords 14:16 07 Aug 05

Hello, I have set up OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router PPPoA - POTS. PC(XP)- but cannot see other pc (2000)
LAN and WLAN green lights show but not SYNC or ONLINE.
I cannot share Internet or files. 2000 PC HAS 3Com adapter and is picking up signal from Router.

I am new to this and frustrated.
I have NTL BROADBAND - connected to Thompson modem (usb + adsl.
Router Lan and adsl connected to pc.

Where am I going wrong? Can anyone help please.

Taff36 21:48 07 Aug 05

Just to clarify - you have 2 PC`s one XP and the other Win2000. You are on NTL Cable broadband with a cable modem (Thompson? Which model?) supplied by NTL. You also have a wireless router which appears to be ADSL. How am I doing?

Can you explain how they are physically (cable or wireless) connected together based on my interpretation of your problem because I can see a small problem combining two routers one cable and one ADSL. Not insurmountable I hope but I need to know makes and models as well.

Dords 15:28 08 Aug 05

Hello Taff36,
I have 2 PC's as described. I am not in a cabled area but receive BB thru an ADSL filter. The ADSL lead is attached to the Thomsom Speedtouch 330 (USB ADSL PPP - description in Network Conns - Dial up) Modem, connected by USB to PC.

When I tried to attach the ADSL lead direct to the 3Com Router I could not get a dial tone for internet. The router instructions recommended this method but probably only for a cabled area.

I attached the speedtouch as usual - and attached 3Com router LAN and ADSL to PC.

The WLAN gives excellent signal strenght and the WIN2000 with usb adapter shows the 3Com and belkin (someone elses) router within range. (Network Conns shows Local-Realtek RTL8139/810X & Wireless-Ralink rt2500 & 1394 net adapter.)

How do I set up network to be able to access Internet on Win2000? Thank You.

Taff36 23:05 08 Aug 05

It` s a busy week so apologies for the delay! Give me the 3Com model number. (Is it a wireless router or a wireless modem/router?) I am still trying to visualise the set up. Perhaps it would be quicker if you dropped me a personal message using the envelope and I`ll respond with my e-mail address. The you can send me a diagram showing me what`s where and connected by whichever. I`m going to be on the road from Wednesday so please be patient.

Dords 09:22 09 Aug 05

Ok, Thanks Taff36.

I will take a few photos and attach them.

I think this is the model. Will need to double check when I get home from work.

click here

Thanks again.

Dords 10:02 22 Aug 05

Hello Taff36,

Yes, this was the correct model. I can acess internet by logging into 3Com and clicking connect.

Tried to network on Saturday night. Adhoc worked briefly at 10mbps and then died. Infrastructure keeps looking but no connection.

Problem that I can see is that the network wizard does not work with flash drive on guest PC (WIN2000). I must have settings wrong somewhere.

Pls help. Thank you.

Dords 10:02 22 Aug 05

Hello Taff36,

Yes, this was the correct model. I can acess internet by logging into 3Com and clicking connect.

Tried to network on Saturday night. Adhoc worked briefly at 10mbps and then died. Infrastructure keeps looking but no connection.

Problem that I can see is that the network wizard does not work with flash drive on guest PC (WIN2000). I must have settings wrong somewhere.

Pls help. Thank you.

Gaz 25 01:29 06 Sep 05

If you need any help, please contact me using the envelope. THis will be easier for me to diagnose the problem. I'm not busy tomorrow so will be able to help you.

Strawballs 21:53 07 Sep 05

click here Try here it is an unnofficial NTL forum but admin of the site all seem to work for ntl broadband and are more than willing to give advise on networking.

Dords 09:49 12 Sep 05

I have moved house and so my internet is offline at the moment. Thanks for your help. I will update with my probs when I get back online.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…