Network

robco 23:00 26 Jan 05

Hi Everyone!
Can anyone help?
Am running 2 PCs and have networked using ethernet cards and cable between the 2 comps. The problem is, I can't get online to blueyonder when i have the 2 netwrked (although each comp isn't seeing the other yet). The only way that i can get back online is to disconnect the cable running between the 2 comps. Have 2 Pent.IIs running win98se with sitecom 10/100mps network cards and am connected to blueyonder broadband with a motorola SURFboard cable modem. Any ideas?
R

LastChip 23:40 26 Jan 05

Are you using a crossover cable as opposed to a patch (straight through) cable? If you have a direct connection between the machines, it MUST be a crossover.

robco 15:30 30 Jan 05

Sorry to take a while in getting back to you Lastchip, it's a crossover cable - rgds rob

LastChip 16:42 30 Jan 05

sort out the network first.

These are two entirely separate issues.

Basic network requirements.

Each computer must be on the SAME Workgroup (the default confusingly is "Workgroup").

Each computer MUST have a UNIQUE name.

Each computer must have at least ONE file or hard drive set to SHARED.

Are these basics in place?

freaky 18:14 30 Jan 05

I set up a network as per robco last month, only difference was that both PC's had XP.

I agree with everything you have said, apart from:- " Each computer must have at least ONE file or hard drive set to SHARED".

I did not do this, and the network worked OK.

Unless the XP Network Wizard did this automatically without my knowing.

LastChip 19:45 30 Jan 05

In Windows 98(se) if you don't have a shared file or drive, all you will see in the Network Neighborhood is a computer icon, and you wont be able to access anything on the drives/files via the opposing computer. A wizard does not always work well in Win98. It can be unpredictable.

Further information for robco, if you have any firewall running, disable it while you sort the network out. This is the single most common item to interfere with an initial network set-up. Once you have a working network, you can then configure a firewall to accept it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…