Network

Paisley 11:18 22 Sep 03

what is dhcp and why should it either be enabled or disabled in an mshome network also how do I enable or disable it?
had netowrk running fine last night this morning its all gone one pc says dhcp enabled the other has it disabled.

mark500 11:41 22 Sep 03

The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is an Internet protocol for automating the configuration of computers that use TCP/IP. DHCP can be used to automatically assign IP addresses, to deliver TCP/IP stack configuration parameters such as the subnet mask and default router, and to provide other configuration information such as the addresses for printer, time and news servers.

Paisley 11:47 22 Sep 03

thanks mark500 so how do I enable it on a pc?

mark500 11:58 22 Sep 03

1)Go to Start Settings Control Panel

2)Double-click on ?Network Connections? for Windows XP or ?Network and Dial-Up Connections? for Windows 2000.

3)Right Click on your Local Area Network Connection and choose ?Properties?.

4)In the box click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)and click Properties.

5)Make sure the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically radio buttons are checked.

6)Click OK and Close. There is no need to restart your computer.

Paisley 12:15 22 Sep 03

have enabled the dhcp but still cant see the view the network have tried pinging the other ip aDRESS BUT IT TIMES OUT any ideas one pc is Xp the other win2000

justme 13:01 22 Sep 03

May I suggest that you use the network setup wizard in xp. It usually works a treat and sets up all the relevent bits and pieces for you.

To get to it click on START, CONNECT TO, SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS and NETWORK SETUP WIZARD. Follow the onscreen instructions and with a bit of luck your network should be restored in pristine condition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…