Netork external hard disk ..will this work??

rdh660 17:46 18 Jun 07

I have an external USB2 hard disk which I use for backups etc with my networked PC and laptop. I use a belkin adsl wireless router to connect my network (the laptop using a wireless connection) The network works just fine and internet connection too. I have noticed that some external hard disks come with a network connection interface which I take it you connect to your router and share on the network as you would a network printer etc. I have an old speedtouch 530 router which has both an ethernet and a usb port for connection. If I connect this to my Belkin router and then connect the usb external hard disk to the USB port on the speedtouch will I be able to see the speedtouch and the attached usb external hard disk on my network and use it as network storage rather than have to swap usb connection between individual computers. ?
Hope I've made myself clear ...sounds a little garbled to me!
Thanks

mgmcc 08:30 19 Jun 07

Simple answer is "No". The Speedtouch router's USB port is an alternative method of connecting the PC for networking/internet, it cannot be used to function as a Network Print Server or to host other devices.

USB is a "host-controlled" technology - USB connections are run by the USB Host Controllers in the PC. Connect two USB devices together without the PC to run the connection, and they won't work.

mgmcc 08:32 19 Jun 07

You can, as an alternative, set the external drive as "shared" over the network. It will then be accessible by both computers, provided the one to which it is connected is running.

rdh660 10:23 19 Jun 07

Thanks for the help everybody....answers my question perfectly.

Once again the helproom to the rescue.
regards rdh1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…