NetMeter

cowgirl66 09:55 15 Oct 09

Hi,since installing K.I.S last night I no longer have Net Meter in my task bar and every time I start up the computer I get this error message,

"Access Violation at address 00404FLC in module 'NetMeter 114beta_4.exe'. Read of address 002D003C."

I have to close that message window before I can start using the computer.

I have searched for Net Meter in the 'Search' window and it says it's in C:\windows\system32\net.exe. I have been in System32 but all I can see is 'net', not 'net.exe' and anyway I wouldn't dare mess around in that folder without advice from a geek!

I do not have it in Add/Remove but it is still in the Start up program list in msconfig, with a tick beside it.

Can anyone please help as I have this awful feeling if I remove the wrong thing it will still pop up at computer start up like a bad smell.

Kind regards, cowgirl66

Stuartli 10:24 15 Oct 09

Try a System Restore to just prior to the K.I.S installation.

If this cures the problem, use System Restore to revert back to your original point (i.e. last night).

cowgirl66 10:26 15 Oct 09

Thanks Stuartli, I'll try that right now

cowgirl66 15:09 15 Oct 09

Sorry but I had to go out and haven't had the chance to do the system restore. Why can't I find uninstall anywhere? I can't even find NetMeter in my Programs. It is running in 'Processes' however and every time I close the computer I get a black screen saying
'The following Programs are still running:

NetMeter. This program is preventing your computer from shutting down'.

Then at the bottom of the message I am told that if I end the process I could risk losing any unsaved data.

To close down the computer I press the 'Shut down now' button.

Stuartli 15:22 15 Oct 09

Doing a System Restore takes around five minutes at most...:-)

Re Uninstalling NetMeter. Have you checked whether the Uninstall facility is listed from Start>Programs>NetMeter>possibly Uninstall?

Stuartli 15:24 15 Oct 09

Are you going to study computing with K.I.S?
..:-)

Stuartli 15:24 15 Oct 09

Are you going to study computing with K.I.S?
..:-)

cowgirl66 16:02 15 Oct 09

Very funny re; last remark, Stuart! I would actually much prefer to uninsatll NetMeter since this glitch may crop up again - and anyway NetMeter isnt' to be found in Start>Programs.

Would you believe, I found a nifty little tool (or so I thought) on the web imaginatively called 'NetMeter Removal Tool', which scanned my computer for me and found the Registry keys. Fool I was not to make a note of them, for clicking on 'Next' to remove them I was then asked to pay for the privilege, somewhere in the region of twenty dollars.

cowgirl66 16:21 15 Oct 09

I have found a couple of files in a 'NetMeter' folder in 'C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming', but that's all I have found so far. The files are configuration settings and TLG file.

'

Stuartli 16:55 15 Oct 09

..are referring to?

click here

Have you any antispyware programs installed such as SUPERAntispyware?

See:

click here (freeware, you update it manually daily)

NetMeter is malware and you need to get rid of it.

Stuartli 17:02 15 Oct 09

If you originally installed NetMeter as a bandwidth usage utility (the name seems to ring a bell), then a safe alternative is Tautology Bandwidth Meter which I use.

It gives daily and monthly totals for downloads and uploads and is freeware:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced