Netgeard Wirlesss adapter doesn't wake up

Giggle n' Bits 00:34 22 Nov 06

using a netgear DG834GT and USB adpater WPN111 the wireless router is fine and when it is connected the Adpater works fine.

Now, when powering of both the router and the other machine (Both XP) connecting with the machine using the wireless adapter it does not wake up and perminantly searches for connectivity.

If I put a tick in a box to selct use this wireless connection then it wakes up in few seconds. Is there anyway to get the machine to wake up the wireless adpater automatically as its a pain to keep having to manually wake the wpn111 up.

I have also seen this with a Belkin router on a frineds so I suspect its something not correct in the settings.

Interested in a cure.

Aargh 16:07 22 Nov 06

In Belkins you have an option to set the idle time to zero, so the connection never drops out - I give mine a break occasionally by unplugging it.

I don't know if netgear has the same feature - if it is idling after a set time and not waking up, try setting it to zero or always on.

Giggle n' Bits 00:17 23 Nov 06

Thats usefull, I will have a look in the settings when I get off later.

Is there anything wrong with switching both machines off including power at the mains socket. You would have thought the settings would stay intact and wake when required like when booting into XP Desktop. as this is the problem when leaving the machine with the adapter WPN111 on it stays connected fine but oh no next day come back and power on the pc it isn't connected so I will have a look in them settings and try to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again for the call Aargh !

LivEviL 19:11 27 Nov 06

on the router in basic settings just under the login and password of ur ISP theres a idle time set it to 0

Giggle n' Bits 22:52 27 Nov 06

my main machine with the Netgear wireless router on is not the problem its the downstairs machine with the USB 2.0 WPN111 adapter.

This is what I do at the end of the day I switch power of to both machines both upstairs & downstairs when I come back to the machine upstairs being on for a while then when the downstairs is on when someone goes onto the web the connection cannot be found and shows it searching trying to wake up.

I will try this now, keep getting sidetracked going to do this in a mo promise.

Will postback in a mo.

Giggle n' Bits 00:03 28 Nov 06

tried and looked again the Router setting is set to 0 already. It looks like it cannot lock onto my routers channel.

Had this problem from day one and didn't realise it was a problem till day after when someone went to use the wireless connected machine. Will manually configure it again tomorrow and see what happens.

Aargh 10:38 28 Nov 06

Your router shouldn't be losing your settings, even if switched off, so I suspect a fault with your USB adapter.

If each pc has the network settings correctly installed, I would concentrate on checking the USB settings for the adapter ie are the drivers loading correctly, or corrupt, or is there a strong enough signal. I've found USB is not the most reliable way to network.

Giggle n' Bits 23:28 28 Nov 06

With the netgear it comes with a little Software programme for the WPN111 widget thing USB adapter. if using a PCI Wireless card would this be more reliable ?

Giggle n' Bits 23:30 28 Nov 06

May have missunderstood me, its not loosing my settings just the wireless usb adapter in XP doesn't find the channel on the wireless link to connect to my router.

Netgear told me to set it to Channel 1 to make the adpater work with the other xp machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…