Netgear wn121t VERY slow speeds

DIsregarder 15:20 13 Nov 07

Hi

Really hope you can help as I'm tearing my hair out here. I've got the Netgear wn121t usb adapter on my Vista system and am trying to connect to my Netgear dg834n router on floor down.

I can connect but the fastest speed I usually get according to the Netgear Smartwizard is 1Mbps.

Have tried numerous times to resolve through netgear support but each attempt hasn't changed anything. I have dowloaded the latest software/drivers, changed to channel 6 and mode g&b as advised by netgear support but it hasn't improved.

Having googled this model there seems to be loads of problems with it. The router appears fine (connects to my Nintendo Wii easily), so is there a better USB adapter available? Will a different make work?

Dipso 16:16 13 Nov 07

Have tried any other channels aprt from the default and 6, could be something interrupting the signal?

ambra4 18:47 13 Nov 07

How to fix Vista's Network Bottlenecks

The problem with Vista's new-fangled network stack

Windows Vista contains both the familiar Internet Protocol IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack.

IPv6 when it's rolled out across the Internet over the next few years, will bring an end to the problem of running out of IP addresses and improve other aspects of TCP/IP operation

All this automatic tuning of the Vista network stack sounds great in theory

But the problem is that some clients don’t support TCP window scaling

Or don’t have it enabled.

Additionally, some firewall products also don’t support it.

If using McAffee Antivirus uninstall it and also uninstall IPv6

How to Uninstall IPv6
Click Start-Click Run-Type CMD-and Enter.
At the prompt type “ipv6 uninstall” then hit Enter.
A reboot will be required for the changes to take affect.
In either scenario, the result is dropped packets, which affects network performance horrendously

Your traffic is literally dropping into a black hole, never to be seen again.

Open up an Administrative Command Window

Right Click-Run as Administrator and type in the following command:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

You also need to type in:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

The changes take effect straight away, with no reboot needed.

You can also check this site on Vista Slow Issues

click here

DIsregarder 11:27 14 Nov 07

Thanks for the replies Dipso and ambra4.

I originally tried a different channel (11 I think) but changed to 6 when advised by Netgear technical support. The signal stregnth is rated excellent, but connection and download speeds are abysmal.

Today I'm getting no connection at all through my adapter and can only go online if I connect my router directly to the pc using the ethernet cable and a dirty great cable running to the phone socket.

Appreciate the detailed response ambra4, but being a relative novice I am very reluctant to start disabling and uninstalling things. Also, I have tried installing the adapter on an XP machine with the same results.

Other forums and reviews have indicated problems with Netgear adapters. Might go for another make. Any thoughts?

cortez© 19:11 20 Jan 08

I had the same speed under xp. Just use the updated version of their software (its newer than the software version on the bundled cd). After installing the newer software i connected at 295 Mbps

tullie 07:50 21 Jan 08

Ambra4 allways seems to give good advise,thats what this forum is for,if you dont take it,thats up to you,just give it a try you will find its not that difficult.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…